It’s easy to find hobbies you enjoy, but it’s more difficult to find fun hobbies for couples. If your marriage is an example of “opposites attract” it might be hard to find activities you both enjoy.
Inexpensive Hobbies for Couples
There are plenty of fun hobbies you can enjoy with your significant other than don’t cost a lot.
- Hiking – Find a local trail or park to explore together.
- Geocaching – Armed with just a compass and a mode of transportation, this is a fun activity to do together and explore your local area.
- Sightseeing – Get out and explore your city, visiting area attractions.
- Book Club – Start a book club for couples and take turns hosting with other members.
- Game Night – Pull out your favorite board game(s) or a deck of cards and invite another couple over.
- Video Gaming – Video games aren’t just for kids!
- Massage – Pick up a book or watch YouTube videos to learn massage techniques.
- Gardening – Start a small garden together (bonus – save money on groceries).
- Cooking – Instead of dining out, make dining in an experience by preparing the meal together.
- Volunteer – Find a cause you both care about and spend time together while helping others.
More Hobbies for Couples
If you’re willing to spend a little money on your hobbies, there are several more you can enjoy together.
- Ballroom Dancing – You’ll get to spend at least an hour a week in each other’s arms, plus you’ll learn skills to wow your friends at the next party with a dance floor.
- Photography – Learn to take amazing photographs and create scrapbooks of happy memories in the process.
- Education – Take a class at a local college or community center to learn a new skill or subject, and bond over your study sessions and homework.
- Community Sports – Many parks and recreation departments have co-ed intramural sports leagues.
- Travel – Go on weekend getaways to interesting destinations.
- Camping – Invest in some camping gear and then enjoy expense-free, unplugged weekend getaways.
- Canoeing – Buy or rent a canoe or a couple of kayaks and spend time exploring local waterways together.
- Auctions – Attend estate auctions and find unique items for your home.
- Season Passes – Whether you have a favorite sports team, theater, or music hall, purchase season tickets and enjoy the events for several months.
In an ideal world, your spouse is your best friend. In fact, one of the 25 Pieces of Wisdom from Still Happily Married people is to make your friendship the center of your relationship.
So, whether you choose something from this list, or find another common interest with your spouse, DO try to have a shared hobby. Try these different date night ideas and if one of them sparks genuine interest, pursue it!