We get all sorts of marriage advice, don’t we? What about the practical things… that’s what really makes a marriage last. Yes, fresh flowers on a Tuesday will certainly help, but it’s not what a marriage is made of.
Here are some SIMPLE things for you to try today…
- Thank them for simple things: cooking a meal, cleaning the house or getting the kids ready, cutting the grass, etc..
- You have to be able to listen. Be a shoulder to cry on. They aren’t looking for an opinion or for you to solve a problem. They just want you to listen.
- Tell your spouse that they look nice- and not just when they are dressed up.
- Offer to run errands for them.
- Pick up groceries for dinner, stop by & grab bread on your lunch break.
- Surprise them with a nice gesture – clean their car, check the fluid in the car (to keep them safe) stop and get a diet coke from McDonalds on your way home from the store, just because you know that she will smile. (Maybe that’s just me! lol!)
- Make jokes! Have fun. It is OK to be “immature” and silly sometimes.
- Surround yourself with friends that are good for both of you. This is important.
- Pick up a good movie.
- Be with people that understand that your spouse and marriage come before a friendship. When you say no to hanging out with friends on a Saturday because you and your spouse are taking the kids biking, your friends should understand.
- All in all, just remember that it is important to do things for your spouse.
- Remember to try to treat your spouse better than a houseguest. If I gets a drink, offer one to your spouse. If I get a snack, I offer to get one to my spouse.
It’s not the grand gestures that matter… it’s the small, everyday ones.